Monday, March 9, 2009

On the Other

There is this line in Brave New World that has been going through my head whenever I begin to think about writing: "You've got to be hurt and upset; otherwise you can't think of the really good, penetrating, x-rayish phrases." 

And this has got me realizing, I am not "hurt and upset," cause when I try to think about what gets me all riled up, nothing comes to mind except for theology, which is incredibly hard to write about, cause I have too many questions.

So what can I do to cure this? I need to get my theology down to where I can write about it, which will be hard, but vital (both important and life-giving).

In the same vein, when I was thinking about writing, it seems to me that so much of writing depends upon feeling, upon unlearning numbness, upon getting "hurt and upset", as Huxley would say.

1 comment:

  1. "unlearning numbness"
    recapturing that wonder of which Chesterton and Lewis so often write
    perhaps like Picasso, who's works went backwards--first he could paint detail and photo-like, but later his pieces were as a child's

    ReplyDelete